Hattie Larlham Research Studies
Hattie Larlham's research program conducts studies to better understand the medical needs of people with developmental disabilities. Research studies explore topics that affect the lives of children and adults with disabilities. Hattie Larlham collaborates with leading Northeast Ohio and national hospitals and universities. The overriding goal is to better define best practices for the care and meaningful life styles for people with developmental disabilities.
Hattie Larlham is committed to providing the best clinical care to the people with developmental disabilities we serve as well as others for whom our findings might apply. Clinical care is an aspect of daily life for many people with developmental disabilities.
The children and adults who reside at Hattie Larlham receive the benefits of many highly trained healthcare professionals including physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy and speech/language therapy on a regular basis.
Assistive Technology refers to any device that is used to maintain, increase or improve the functional capabilities of people with disabilities. Hattie Larlham has an assistive technology program that focuses on access to a variety of objects and experiences using switches, computers and communication devices.
Hattie Larlham Research Partners
Hattie Larlham has and continues to work with many Northeast Ohio and national universities and hospitals on research projects that benefit the wellbeing of children and adults with developmental disabilities. Some of these organizations include:
Published Hattie Larlham Research Studies
Below is a list of published Hattie Larlham research studies:
- Grossberg R, Blackford MG, Kecskemethy HH, Henderson R, Reed MD. Longitudinal Assessment of Bone Growth and Development in a Facility-Based Population of Young Adults with Cerebral Palsy, Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015 Nov;(11):1064-9.
- Grossberg RI, Blackford M, Friebert S, Benore E, Reed MD. Direct Care Staff and Parents'/Legal Guardians' Perspectives on End-of-Life Care in a Long-Term Care Facility for Medically Fragile and Intellectually Disabled Pediatric and Young Adult Residents, Palliat Support Care 2013 Aug; 11(4):307-14.
- Viau RA, Hujer AM, Marshall SH, Perez F, Hujer KM, Briceño DF, Dul M, Jacobs MR, Grossberg R, Toltzis P, Bonomo RA. "Silent" Dissemination of Klebsiella pneumoniae Isolates Bearing K. pneumoniae carbapenemase in a Long-Term Care Facility for Children and Young Adults in Northeast Ohio. Clin Infect Dis. 2012May;54(9):1314-21.
- Blackford M, Grossberg R, Gothard M, Reed M. Valproic Acid-Associated Hypoalbuminemia in Medically Fragile Pediatric and Young Adult Patients in a Long Term Care Facility: Potential Mechanisms for Decreased Albumin Synthesis. Curr Topics Pharmacol 2012;16:99-105.
- Kuperminc MN, Gurka MJ, Bennis JA, Busby MG, Grossberg RI, Henderson RC, Stevenson RD. Anthropometric Measures: Poor Predictors of Body Fat in Children with Moderate to Severe Cerebral Palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010 Sep;52(9):824-30.
- Henderson RC, Berglund LM, May R, Zemel BS, Grossberg RI, Johnson J, Plotkin H, Stevenson RD, Szalay E, Wong B, Kecskemethy HH, Harcke HT. The Relationship Between Fractures and DXA Measures of BMD in the Distal Femur of Children and Adolescents with Cerebral Palsy or Muscular Dystrophy. J Bone Mineral Res. 2010 Mar;25(3):520-6.
- Gurka MJ, Kuperminc MN, Busby MG, Bennis JA, Grossberg RI, Houlihan CM, Stevenson RD, Henderson RC. Assessment and Correction of Skinfold Thickness Equations in Estimating Body Fat in Children with Cerebral Palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010 Feb;52(2):e35-41.
- Goyal M, Grossberg RI, O'Riordan MA, Davis ID. Urolithiasis with Topiramate in Nonambulatory Children and Young Adults. Pediatr Neurol. 2009 Apr;40(4):289-94.
- Grossberg RI. Psychoanalytic Contributions to the Care of Medically Fragile Children, J Psychiatr Pract. 2008 Sep;14(5):307-11.
- Walliser G, Grossberg R, Reed MD. Look-Alike Medications: A Formula for Possible Morbidity and Mortality in the Long-Term Care Facility, J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2007 Oct;8(8):541-2.
- Henderson RC, Grossberg RI, Matuszewski J, Menon N, Johnson J, Kecskemethy HH, Vogel L, Ravas R, Wyatt M, Bachrach SJ, Stevenson RD. Growth and Nutritional Status in Residential Center versus Home-Living Children and Adolescents with Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy. J Pediatr. 2007 Aug;151(2):161-6.
- Grossberg RI. Closing Facilities for Children: An Unrealistic Position. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007 Apr;161(4):418-9.
- Grossberg R, Harpaz R, Rubtcova E, Loparev V, Seward JF, Schmid DS. Secondary Transmission of Varicella Vaccine Virus in a Chronic Care Facility for Children, J Pediatr. 2006 Jun;148(6):842-4.
- Moore S, Goodwin H, Grossberg R, Toltzis P. Compliance With Universal Precautions Among Pediatric Residents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998 Jun;152(6):554-7.
Lori Oliver, Ph.D.
Vice President, Center and Group Home Services
Lori Oliver Ph.D. is the vice president of center and group home services at Hattie Larlham. Dr. Oliver oversees all the programs and services offered at the Hattie Larlham Center for Children with Disabilities in Mantua, Ohio, as well...
Richard Grossberg, M.D., F.A.A.P.
Richard Grossberg, M.D. joined Hattie Larlham as medical director of the Hattie Larlham Center for Children with Disabilities in 1999. Prior to coming to Hattie Larlham, he practiced general pediatrics...