Hattie Larlham thanks supporters for successful Heart Heroes Flash Fund
Thank you to everyone who became a HEART HERO and supported our 48-hour Flash Fund on February 13 & 14. Together, we raised $3,685!
Thanks to your generosity we’re now closer to our goal of purchasing AED (automated external defibrillator) devices for all eight of our Constant Companions locations. Thank you!
A special thank you to the Hattie Larlham Board of Directors and Darko, Inc. who matched all Flash Fund donations dollar-for-dollar.
Hattie Larlham’s Constant Companions program serves 250 adults across eight sites in Northeast Ohio, and is one way Hattie Larlham creates opportunities for each person we serve to live active, engaged and healthy lives.
Why are AED devices needed in our Constant Companions locations?
- Sudden cardiac arrest is among the leading causes of death in the United States. In fact, more than 350,000 people will suffer a cardiac arrest this year.
- A person can go into sudden cardiac arrest when the heart’s electrical impulses change suddenly and interrupt the normal beating pattern. This makes it impossible for the heart to pump blood to the brain and tissues. This can lead to death within minutes if not treated.
- Currently, the only way to restore a regular heart rhythm during cardiac arrest is to use an AED.
- An AED is an easy-to-use, medical device that can analyze the heart’s rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock, or defibrillation, to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm.
- People with developmental disabilities often have medical issues that accompany their disability. Some specific disabilities like Down Syndrome actually carry a higher risk of cardiac disorders, and some disabilities are associated with congenital heart disease.
- Many people who participate in our Constant Companions program are older, and more susceptible to age-related heart issues.
- Making sure that every Constant Companions location has an AED can potentially save the life of someone we serve!