Be a Heart Hero during Hattie Larlham’s Flash Fund on Feb. 13 & 14
Hattie Larlham’s Constant Companions program serves 250 adults across eight sites in Northeast Ohio, and is one way Hattie Larlham creates opportunities for each person we serve to live active, engaged and healthy lives.
On February 13 and 14, we are asking Hattie Larlham supporters to be HEART HEROES and help us purchase critical AED (automated external defibrillator) devices for all eight of our Constant Companions locations. Your gift could save a life!
Why are AED devices needed in our Constant Companions locations?
- Sudden cardiac arrest is among the leading causes of death in the United States. In fact, more than 350,000 people will suffer a cardiac arrest this year.
- A person can go into sudden cardiac arrest when the heart’s electrical impulses change suddenly and interrupt the normal beating pattern. This makes it impossible for the heart to pump blood to the brain and tissues. This can lead to death within minutes if not treated.
- Currently, the only way to restore a regular heart rhythm during cardiac arrest is to use an AED.
- An AED is an easy-to-use, medical device that can analyze the heart’s rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock, or defibrillation, to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm.
- People with developmental disabilities often have medical issues that accompany their disability. Some specific disabilities like Down Syndrome actually carry a higher risk of cardiac disorders, and some disabilities are associated with congenital heart disease.
- Many people who participate in our Constant Companions program are older, and more susceptible to age-related heart issues.
- Making sure that every Constant Companions location has an AED can potentially save the life of someone we serve!
Your donation on February 13 and 14 gives security and peace of mind to the staff and participants of Hattie Larlham’s Constant Companions program.
Here is how you can support our Flash Fund:
- Follow this link to make your donation online.
- Give from where you are – text HATTIE to 41444 to make a donation from your mobile device.
- Ask your employer if they will match your gift. If they match your gift on February 13 or 14. your donation triples! See your HR department for details.
- Share our posts about the Flash Fund on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram and encourage your friends, family and coworkers to give.